Take now, regret later. Don’t accept any of the following items from a D-I, -II or -III coach—or anyone else affiliated with the athletic department of a college or university.
- Athletic equipment specific to your sport
- Cash or other financial consideration
- Tangible items, including merchandise
- Co-signing of loans
- Employment arrangements for relatives
- Loans for relatives or friends
- Free or reduced-cost services, including housing, rentals or purchases of any type
- Use of the college’s/university’s athletic equipment (e.g., for a high school all-star game)
The consequence? If the value of the item[s] is $100 or less, you’ll be declared ineligible and remain so until the value is repaid to a charity of your choice. If the value exceeds $100, the NCAA student-athlete reinstatement staff determines the penalty. Based on the level of the violation, your athletic participation could be temporarily restricted.