The Eccentric Calf Raise, an exercise that increases explosive calf strength.
- Increases explosive calf strength
- Improves deceleration
Eccentric Calf Raise Sports Performance Benefits
The calves are not the largest lower-body muscles, but they’re among the most important for every movement that involves foot-ground contact. Developing explosive calves will help you push off the ground harder when running and jumping or against the ice at the end of your skating stride. Strong, explosive calves also help you absorb force, allowing you to slow down faster so you can quickly change direction.
Eccentric Calf Raise How-To
- Assume position on calf raise machine
- Stand on one foot and lower heel to ground for two counts
- Return opposite foot to machine and explode upward with both feet
- Hold at top for one count
- Repeat for specified reps
Sets/Reps: 3-4×8-10 each leg
Eccentric Calf Raise Coaching Points
- Keep core tight and chest against pad
- Do not bounce during movement