In sports, quickly getting back on one's feet after landing on the turf, ice or court—and rapidly getting back into the action—requires lower- and upper-body strength, core strength and agility.
The following movements target those muscle groups for smoothly rising from a seated, supine, side or prone position and chasing after a ball or an opponent as play continues.
This article provides various bodyweight or dumbbell exercises performed from ground positions, superset with standing bodyweight or dumbbell movements for boosting size, strength and sports performance.
- Two moderately-heavy dumbbells (70-80% RM)
- Exercise mat (optional)
- Water bottle
- Timer (optional)
- Do lower- and upper-body dynamic warm-up movements (e.g., Lunges & Arm Circles).
- Finish with lower- and upper-body cool-down static stretches for greater flexibility and range of motion.
- Hydrate before, during and after workouts.
- Do the workout on non-consecutive days for adequate recovery.
- Perform one superset per exercise combo.
- Reps: 10
- Rest: 60 seconds between combos.
- Vary the sequence of the combo exercises in future workouts.
Alternating Push-Ups & Squat Thrusts
A sports-functional get-up-and-go combo simulating explosively transitioning from a prone to an upright and back to a prone position.
- Perform a Push-Up, then explosively drive your legs toward your arms and jump up as high as possible.
- Return to start and continue alternating Push-Ups/Squat Thrusts nine more times.
Dumbbell Reverse Crunches & DB Upright Rows
- In a seated position on the ground or exercise mat with your knees slightly bent, hold the dumbbells with a shoulder-level supinated grip.
- Keeping your abdominal muscles tight, slowly lean back halfway to the mat/ground and pause one second.
- Slowly return to start for nine more reps.
- Bring the dumbbells to your sides, immediately rise, and do 10 Upright Rows. An excellent core and upper-body combo.
Side Planks & Alternating Forward Lunges
- Assume a side plank position resting on your right forearm with your left hand extended overhead.
- Hold for 40-60 seconds, switch sides (resting on your left forearm/right hand held overhead) and repeat.
- Quickly rise and do 10 alternating Forward Lunges per leg with your arms laterally extended at shoulder level.
Superman & Dumbbell Overhead Presses
- Assume a prone position on the mat/ground and do 10 Supermans quickly followed by 10 standing Overhead Presses with both dumbbells.
- An excellent combination for building the lower, middle and upper back and core muscles (Superman) and then the shoulders and arms (Overhead Press).
Seated Dumbbell Rows & Dumbbell Squats
- In a seated position on the mat or ground with your knees slightly bent, hold the dumbbells with a supinated grip and your arms extended at waist level.
- Pull the dumbbells quickly toward your waist and continue nine more times.
- Stand up and hold the dumbbells at shoulder level with a pronated grip and do 10 Squats for another upper- and lower-body size and strength combination.
Dumbbell Chest Presses & Side Lunges
- Lie on your back on the mat or ground (supine position) with your knees bent.
- Hold the dumbbells with a pronated shoulder-width grip.
- After 10 Presses, rise with the dumbbells, hold them with a supinated grip and do 10 right Side Lunges immediately followed by 10 left Side Lunges.
READ MORE FROM JIM CARPENTIER:
- Why You Should Be Developing Your Sport Skills During the Offseason
- Prevent Procastination From Ruining Your Workouts and Performance
- 6 Easy Ways to Lead by Example
Photo Credit: Getty Images // Thinkstock