With the school semester finally coming to a close, you're probably ready to unwind and kick back. But if you're a fall sport athlete, the end of the school year should mark the start of a summer of intensive training.
If you want to be a true competitor, you have to keep working. Summer is no exception. Ensure you're strong to withstand the rigors of fall practices and games with these intense full-body combo dumbbell and barbell exercise workouts. (A must download for summer: STACK Summer Training Guide.)
Summer Weightlifting Guidelines
- Perform on non-consecutive days to allow for ample recovery time.
- Warm up your muscles with a dynamic upper- and lower-body warm-up (finish with cool down stretches to promote flexibility).
- Go from one exercise to the next without resting within each combo group.
- Rest between combo sets as indicated below.
Strength and Power Workout
The short rest periods add a sport-specific element, mimicking the limited rest time between downs.
Sets/Reps: 3x3-5 at 90% RM (rest 30-60 seconds between sets)
- Deadlifts with Incline Bench Presses
- Dumbbell Upright Rows and Dumbbell Squats
- Seated Dumbbell Russian Twists with Dumbbell Sit-Ups (holding weight on chest)
Sets/Reps: 3x8-10 at 80% RM (rest 30 to 45 seconds between sets)
- Dumbbell Step-Ups with Dumbbell Bent-Over Rows
- Dumbbell Side Lunges with Dumbbell Overhead Presses
- Bench Presses with Barbell Upright Rows
Soccer, Field Hockey and Cross-Country Weightlifting
Muscle Endurance Workout
This workout is well suited for endurance sports because it involves minimal stoppages. The higher repetitions per exercise and brief rest periods between combo sets promote endurance.
Sets/Reps: 3x12-15 at 70 % RM (rest 15 to 30 seconds between sets)
- Single-Leg Dumbbell Squats with Single-Leg Dumbbell Bent-Over Rows
- Dumbbell Forward Lunges with Dumbbell Upright Rows
- Barbell Overhead Presses with Dumbbell Side Chops
Photo Credit: Getty Images // Thinkstock