Game film is a recording of the game or sports event from optimal angles to allow for analysis and training, which is why coaches and athletes must always be engaged to prepare and learn.
This aspect of film engages current and improves future communication, which tailors strategies for success. For this article, incorporating visual content gives athletes (young and old), coaches, and parents confidence and a slight advantage during tryouts, practice, and competition. Unfortunately, some parents, coaches, and athletes are uninformed regarding the benefit of watching film and the cognitive neuroscience behind learning new plays.
Analyzing game film allows the athlete and coach to correct mistakes and prepare for training sessions or the game. This is why Kobe Bryant talked about understanding his opponents through film and critiquing himself, knowing his opponents would know as well through his weaknesses.
Studying film by watching sports, practices, and playing some “sport” video games allows the athlete to process information and relay it through multiple resources, especially play. Research outlines that 93 percent of all human communication is visual. Humans process visuals quicker than text and skim the content they read online. Additionally, forty percent of learners comprehend better with visuals, and with the rise of homeschooling and advanced technology, unfortunately, the percentage has increased.
If the application is correct, film study is not tricky; it should be analyzed through various communication styles, i.e., verbal vs. non-verbal gestures, illustrations, various movements, and diagrams based on learning styles and techniques learned.
Analyzing and teaching film study enables a new way to teach athletes, which can be incredibly helpful in achieving success. While there are varying film study methods, the best way to demonstrate it is by having athletes watch the play executed first through slow motion, screenshots, and then actual game speed. Building through this method allows the athlete to tap into the science of modeling the behavior to increase overall awareness.
Here are some approaches in breakdown film:
- Analyze the different angles of the athlete’s sport;
- Allow critical thinking to figure what happened and how to improve;
- Re-engineer the training process to achieve success at each position;
- Encourages process theory of how the game takes place in every aspect;
- Motivates from wrongful motives and encourages success by an aspect of what can be achieved.
- Puts ownership on the coach and athlete of what can and should be done better;
- Encouraging communication and relationship between the coach and athlete could be missing, which is a significant key to success.
- Creates efficiencies for positive and negative trends;
- Requires the athlete and coach to do their job from what is actually seen respectfully;
- Allows the creation of an Individual Development Plan (IDP), Progress Reports, and other progressive tools for growth and success;
- Enhances the understanding of an individuals and teams performance;
- Encourages and develops body mechanics, motor learning, and physical attributes, which varies daily;
- It gives the strength and conditioning coach and training staff a bigger picture of how the training program must be changed and training modalities manipulated;
- Allows the coach to address various problems and creatmultipleus action plans moving forward;
- Observes how movements are executed and create a movement improvement plan, which is effective for each athlete;
- Although the comparison is unwise; it allows the strength coach to enhance the athletes training plan, more in-depth to the training competition;
- Encourages successful measures for increased athletic performance;
- Analyzes and prevents current and future injuries;
- Changes the mentality of how the game is approached, good or bad;
- Encourages physical mentality and preparation;
- Increases fundamentals and body adaptation for increased athletic performance and coaches’ coaching style.
Taking your game to the next level requires an attentive discipline that deals with various critical practices and game approaches, a sort after art form that serves as a medium to improve mental and physical gameplay.