Must See Strength Training Videos
Joey Votto Upper-Body Strength Workout
Patrick Willis Strength Training Superset
Real Workouts: NaVorro Bowman
A pair of strong shoulders can round out an impressive upper body and enhance an athlete's performance. One of the best ways to increase shoulder strength and size is by overhead pressing, using exercises such as Military Presses, Push Presses and Dumbbell Overhead Presses. But because the shoulder joint is capable of extreme range of motion, it is more susceptible to injury. If you've ever suffered a shoulder injury, you have probably found that performing heavy barbell pressing is extremely uncomfortable.
The landmine is a great alternative. The Half-Kneeling Single-Arm Landmine Overhead Press is an awesome movement that most people can perform safely and pain-free, even if they've had injuries in the past. The arc of the barbell allows you to press up and slightly forward rather than pushing directly over your head.
- Place a barbell in a landmine device. If you lack access to a landmine device, place the barbell in the corner of a squat rack and secure it with a heavy dumbbell to prevent it from sliding around.
- Get into a half-kneeling stance in front of the barbell.
- Hold the barbell at shoulder height in the hand nearest your back leg.
- Press up at about 45 degrees.
- Lower the barbell back down under control.
This exercise should allow you to press without nagging pain or discomfort. It works best in the 6-12 repetition range for 3 to 4 sets on each arm. Once you've mastered the movement in a half-kneeling stance, progress to Standing Landmine Presses and make the exercise more explosive.