Nutrition is your secret weapon to achieving optimal athletic performance. By consuming a balanced diet,you enhance your ability to train well, recover faster, improve your immune system, facilitate the healing process and achieve a leaner performance weight.
The following guidelines will help ensure that you achieve optimal performance.
An infrequent eating pattern is one reason why athletes fail to reach their performance goals. Eat a meal or snack every two to four hours. Your energy stores (i.e., glycogen) supply the working muscles with nutrients that fuel your workout. Going longer than fours hours without eating may cause your body to burn protein (muscle) for energy.
Time your nutrients for optimal muscle recovery
Not eating at the right time, especially after workouts, can prevent you from reaching your goals. Waiting more than two hours post-workout can inhibit increases in strength and slow recovery. Consume a liquid meal (e.g., Myoplex Original Shake) immediately post-workout.
Eat well most of the time
My guideline: eat clean 90% of the time and treat yourself the other 10%. Eating every two to four hours equates to 42 meals per week. So, four meals per week can include "treat" foods—those high in calories with little nutritional value (e.g., cookies, candy, chips, cakes, sodas); fast food, which is high in fat and sodium; and fried foods, also high in fat and sodium.
Sample Meal Plan
Choose one option per category.
• Turkey and egg sandwich on whole grain bread, 1C strawberries, glass of 100% orange juice
• 2-3 whole-grain waffles (e.g., Kashi) with 1 tbsp natural PB , glass of skim milk, medium orange
• PB sandwich on whole-grain bread, skim milk
• EAS Myoplex Light or Original Bar
Pre-Exercise (30 minutes prior)
• 1C vanilla yogurt (e.g., Blue Bunny) with 1 scoop vanilla or strawberry protein powder (e.g., Myoplex Light)
Post-Exercise (within 30 minutes)
• 1 scoop/packet of vanilla protein powder (e.g., Myoplex Light or Original) mixed with 20 oz Gatorade
• 16 oz chocolate milk with a PB &J sandwich
• Lean roast beef sandwich on whole-grain bread, 1 slice provolone cheese, low fat mayo, mustard, lettuce, tomato; watermelon or grapes; green salad with reduced fat dressing
• Grilled chicken salad with reduced fat dressing, 2 slices whole-grain bread, 1C strawberries, 100% apple juice
• Non-fat plain or Greek yogurt with 1 tbsp sugar-free pancake syrup
• Whole-grain cereal (e.g., Kashi) and skim milk, with 1 scoop protein powder
• Grilled filet or flank steak, wholewheat pasta or sweet potato, carrots, cauliflower and broccoli,
• Grilled shrimp or chicken fajitas (add onions, tomatoes and peppers), whole-grain tortillas, avocado and light sour cream, romaine lettuce salad with reduced fat dressing
• 1C low fat cottage cheese
• 1 tbsp natural PB on a banana, glass of skim milk
Photo Credit: Getty Images // Thinkstock