Mike Morris, Tampa Bay Buccaneers head strength and conditioning coach, offers up his six keys to off-season agility training success.
1. Work agility drills 2 days per week.
2. Perform 1 set of 10 reps for 3 different drills on a single day.
3. Rest for 35 to 45 seconds between exercises. This mimics the rest time you get during a game.
4. The first day of agility training should be position-specific. Three LB- and DB-specific drills are:
Perform a 10-yard backpedal with a 45-degree break
Drop seven yards at a 45-degree angle to the right; repeat to the left
Do 10-yard shuttles to the left and right
5. The second day should include general agility exercises, such as:
Speed ladder drills
Shuffling over and around bags
Backpedaling for five yards, then sprinting forward 10 yards
6. During all drills, keep a low center of gravity and good arm movement, as both are crucial to cutting efficiently, and cutting is one of the most important skills a linebacker needs. Also, emphasize proper technique and body positions throughout each drill.
Photo Credit: Getty Images // Thinkstock